Re: Axles & tires

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 1996 - 14:45:49 EDT

You wrote:
*snip*
>That's why I have a Sport.) I can ask the guys at the tire
>store to look it up, but I thought I might ask people who knew
>what they were talking about first. (I'm pretty sure I'm going
>to have to double check the tire shop to make sure they don't
>automatically order wheels for a Ford out of habit.)

    The bolt pattern (unique to Dakota's '91 and up) is 6X4.5 (or 6 on 4
and 1/2). Stock width is 6-6.6" (I believe)...You go up from there.

>As for tires, I looked around on rec.autos.4x4 and got the
>impression that BF Goodrich is the brand to get. Any
>experience or other suggestions? Right now, I'm leaning
>toward the radial mud terrains over the radial all terrains. The
>truck spends the vast majority of its time as a car, but if the
>tires keep me from getting stuck once it's worth a little extra
>noise and lower fuel mileage. My biggest concern is that I
>don't know how they compare in terms of treadwear.

    BFG AT tires on my 4X2 have got me out of being stuck a few times
(sure grip diff.) I got 38000 miles on my last set on my '91 Dakota. I
think that for more than 50% street driving you would be happier with
the AT vs. the MT.

    ..Sam '95 SLT SBEC 4x2