Axles & tires

From: Jason B. Bleazard (jmbleazard@xactware.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 1996 - 13:08:24 EDT

I'm the guy who just bought a 95 Sport 4x4 3.9L 5 speed who
asked a few weeks ago about axle ratios and tire sizes.
Thanks to all those who replied. I couldn't find a sticker on
my hood, but the tag on the diff indicates I've got the 3.9. I
indicate 2600 rpm at 70 mph in 5th gear with the 235 tires.
All of the other traffic flies past me at this speed, but this is
exactly what I expect from the freeways in Utah (if you're not
going 85, keep out of the passing lane or be killed). The
Neon I used to have said the distance from home to work is
4.9 miles. I checked it with the Dakota this morning and it
also said 4.9 miles. Looks like they managed to get the
right speedo gear in. I've been getting between 16.5 mpg
(spent some time off road in second and third gear and a
little low-range 4x4 on this tank) and 19.5. Not too bad.

Back to my tire question... sounds like 31x10.5 will fit, but
only with new wheels. Does anybody have any specific
suggestions for wheels that fit on the truck? I would like to
keep the price under about $75 per wheel if possible. Also, I
really don't like chrome (call it a quirk of my personality.
That's why I have a Sport.) I can ask the guys at the tire
store to look it up, but I thought I might ask people who knew
what they were talking about first. (I'm pretty sure I'm going
to have to double check the tire shop to make sure they don't
automatically order wheels for a Ford out of habit.)

As for tires, I looked around on rec.autos.4x4 and got the
impression that BF Goodrich is the brand to get. Any
experience or other suggestions? Right now, I'm leaning
toward the radial mud terrains over the radial all terrains. The
truck spends the vast majority of its time as a car, but if the
tires keep me from getting stuck once it's worth a little extra
noise and lower fuel mileage. My biggest concern is that I
don't know how they compare in terms of treadwear.

Thanks in advance for any advice. (If you made it this far,
thanks for reading my long-winded message.)

  -- Jason