RE: Axles & tires

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Sat Oct 12 1996 - 07:28:13 EDT

From: James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM@INTERNET on Fri, Oct 11, 1996 9:31 PM

Jason writes:
>>I'm the guy who just bought a 95 Sport 4x4 3.9L 5 speed who
>>Back to my tire question... sounds like 31x10.5 will fit, but
>>only with new wheels. Does anybody have any specific

> ...... I've had no problem
>with flotation in sand with the tires at full inflation (whereas I did with
>the stock 235/75s) and haven't had to air them down too much. I drop the
>pressure to about 25 so they climb rocks better, run 28-40 psi on the
street.
>Note that you can fine-tune your footprint with such oversize tires.

Just to add a data point to the tire discussion. I have been driving my
Dakota on the beach in soft sand with Wrangler 235/75's all year without
airing down the tires or having any problems with flotation. The previous
owner of my truck also used it on the beach with the stock tires and never
had a problem.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE