Re: Taking the next step.

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 1996 - 11:54:51 EDT

> I have rented a few, but recently had an experience where the 'bone-head' said
> that my Dakota only had a 2000 lb. towing rating!!

  Do you have a frame-mounted receiver on your Dakota? If the
bonehead was staring at a 1 1/2" trailer ball on your step
bumper, he was absolutely correct. The bumper is a Class II
hitch, limit 2000# and 200# tongue weight.

> I tried to convience him that I could tow more than the Ford-Explorer that was
> pulling out of the yard with the exact same trailer!!!!!

  This is true, when properly equipped. Spend the bucks on
a nice Class III or IV receiver. You won't regret it, the peace
of mind alone is worth it IMO.

  You can always get the guy to look at your GCVW on the capacity
sticker in the driver's door frame.

> Any other U-HAUL stories out there?? Or is it just me :)

  I have had no end of problems renting car trailers from the
yard yahoos. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy one
one of these days.

> ..Sam '95 SLT CC MP SBEC

  Is that the performance computer? I'd be careful towing with
that thing equipped.

  Good luck,

  Ron "Mine Is A Great Tow Vehicle" Rader