Re: tires on a 2wd with stock rims

From: Scott May - Computing & Telecommunications - SUNY Delhi (MAYSA@snydelab.delhi.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 05 1996 - 15:02:26 EST

    I bought my Dakota used. It came on a brand new set of Cooper
Weather Masters 235/75/15. They provide great winter traction and I have
absolutely no complaints. I have gone places a 2WD truck shouldn't go
in the snow. The 5-speed and 500 lbs help as well. I have no desire to look
for a different winter tire.

     For summer tires, I bought a set of BF Goodrich 255/70/15's. I put
them on chrome rims, but they fit a regular width rim. I get a little rub in
my mud flaps when they were new on hard turns. I modified the flaps
to minimize the rub to almost nothing. 235/70/15's would probably be a
perfect fit, but I wanted to keep a diameter close to the 235/75/15 Coopers.
My speed-o is about 3 mph less than actual at 70.

     Traction and handling on the Goodrich tires is great. With
10 inches of tread width it corners very nicely and I will probably be
replacing them next summer. I do a lot of driving, but will get 2.5 years
out of a set, about 30K. I tend to drive a couple of highways that are mostly
concrete which tends to shorten the life of any tire on any vehicle I have had.
My father runs the same tire on his summer toy (1970 C-10). Driving it
on those tires makes it hard to believe that it is a '70.

Just my 2 cents,
Scott...
1993 Club 3.9L 5Spd w\K&N and some other goodies.

>Hello Dak'ers,
> I have a '94 Dakota (see sig) and have 37,000 miles on the
>original tires. Yeah, I know, they should be toast by now but I don't fry
>them except for a chirp now and again (and again...). I would like to
>purchase two sets of tires, one for spring/summer/fall and one for winter.
>I have two sets of rims, predator and chrome both off stock '94 Dakotas.
>I have not lowered the truck and I don't intend to in the future.
> I expect to purchase a set of tires that work well in the snow
>which means narrow tall tires. The speedo is not my concern and the
>computer will learn whatever modifications to my driving style that will
>occur. The regular duty tires should be good at higher speeds and
>cornering on wet roads since it rains a bit here. These should be about
>the same diameter as the stock 215-75/15 Goodyear Invictas that are on
>there.
> Unless I hit the lottery (which I don't play) or get a better job
>which may take years, my 6" wide wheels will have to serve me. What do
>you think folks? Can you help me and my truck decide on new shoes and
>snow boots?

Thanks!
1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu

| Scott May | Lead Programmer/Analyst |
| | |
| SUNY Delhi | Delhi College of Technology |
| 327 Bush Hall | State University of New York |
| Delhi, NY 13753 | |
| | Internet: maysa@snydelab.delhi.edu |