Re: the end of the Magnum?

From: Schelling, Paul M (SchellinPM@corning.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 1996 - 10:15:00 EST

Krazy Kooter wrote:

>...if these motor's have less than 360 cube's
>they probably won't have any torque but good horsepower. I'd rather have the
>torque for the massive burnouts personally.

True 'nuff.

>Who will wax who off the line? A 97 Z-28 with
>300+ horse or the 300+ horse OHC 97 Cobra? My bets are on the Z-28 with
>pushrods over the over head cam design.

Also true. The problem here, though, is cubes (5.7 vs 4.9?), not where
the cams are. The overhead cams just let the engineers sneak more power
out of a given displacement. If the Dodge Boys stick with the same
bores, strokes, and valve lift and timing as the Magnums, they should
end up with the same torque and possibly more power and better
efficiency with the better breathing. I ain't gonna complain about
that. The only reason any carmaker ever uses OHV instead of OHC is to
reduce manufacturing costs.

>Unless Dodge unveils a 426 OHC, then I'll shut up.

'Cause of the above, I'd be perfectly happy with the 3.9/5.2 they've got
now, and maybe toss in a 5.9 for icing on the cake. If they're willing
to spend the money, they'll go with dual mode tuned intake runners for
better torque AND power.

 - Paul
  SchellinPM@corning.com