Re: tires on a 2wd with stock rims

From: Scott May - Computing & Telecommunications - SUNY Delhi (MAYSA@snydelab.delhi.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 06 1996 - 11:06:34 EST

>Please post how you modified your flaps to minimize the tire rub on hard
>turns. Thanks. I have a 92 4X2 club V8 with 235/70/15. It rubs worse
>on right turns. The turning radius on this truck is the worst feature.
>Craig

     I was able to see where they were rubbing. It also happened to
line up on a screw head as well. I took off the front flaps and put a large
notch about 1.5 inches wide in the center and cut them to maybe a half inch
below the inner fender. As long as you don't look in the wheel well,
you wouldn't even know. That eliminated about 90% of the rubbing.
Once in a while on a fair sized bump during a hard turn the suspension
gives enough travel to rub, but very little. The rubbing I experienced is
only due to the width of the tire and not the height.

     I am surprised that I am able to run BFG Radial T/A's 255/70/15
after hearing the size complications. I have them on AR chrome rims
which have 6.5 or 7 inch width (I forget). I agree that the turning radius
is not that great on the 4X2 clubs. Maybe I have clearance advantage due
to the lighter weight of the 3.9L V6?

Scott...
'93 3.9L Club 5-Spd 2WD

| Scott May | Lead Programmer/Analyst |
| | |
| SUNY Delhi | Delhi College of Technology |
| 327 Bush Hall | State University of New York |
| Delhi, NY 13753 | |
| | Internet: maysa@snydelab.delhi.edu |