Re: 4x4 necessity

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Fri Nov 08 1996 - 20:32:46 EST

Although someone who's competent could run circles around me and my 3.9
4x4, competent drivers account for only about 0.001% of the people on the
road. There's a section of I 90 between milemarkers 25 and 35 (I think)
in Western Montana, that's got corners marked between 45 and 50. I drive
through it in the Dakota at 70 to 75, which I consider a nice, brisk and
safe pace. I have never been passed on that piece of road or going down
the Idaho side of Lookout Pass. Fine and responsive handling cars can be
really neat, but they ain't gonna make it up the hill when it's snotty.
Funny though, the guys that get smoked in the corners show me how fast
they can go in a straight line which requires only a higher resistance to
speeding tickets than I have.

Larry Elliott