Re: 4x4 necessity

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Tue Nov 12 1996 - 13:04:00 EST

>From: stei0302
>Subject: Re: 4x4 necessity
>Date: Thursday, November 07, 1996 6:23PM

> - Cost. Way, way too much money!!

I almost agree with you here... actually, the price differences between the
2x4 and the 4x4 Dakotas wasn't as much as I originally thought, and when
compared to Brand X trucks, seemed to be a good value. In the grand scale
of things.. a loaded 2WD is probably $17K and I picked up my 4WD for just
over $19K (granted I did get it below dealer cost...) IMHO, 2 or 3 thousand
is well worth the extra abilities in slick weather conditions... (I've had
two many hairy drives on I-93 in NH on my way skiing)

> - Complexity. Yet another thing to have break.

Again, you are correct, but with regular maintenance, it should be fine...

> - Need. I live in western New York (state), and we do usually
> get a decent amount of snow, but I never (well, hardly
> ever) go off-road. The truck was a tad hairy in the
> winter until I threw 600lbs of sand into the back.

This I think is the most important deciding factor in whether or not to get
4WD. I'm from northern CT (the slush-belt), so the amount of snow we get
isn't what anyone would consider "a lot" but I'm a skier, and spend numerous
weekends driving to VT, NH, and ME for ski trips, and any additional
traction I can get on a snowy highway, I'll take it!!

And for all you go-fast guys (yes, I'm one too), I may lose a little speed
or quickness due to the extra weight of the 4WD hardware, but in the rain,
and also especially in the snow, if I want to waste somebody off the line,
just throw it in 4-HI, wait for the green light, let off the clutch, and SEE
YA!! They're history!! Any 2WD vehicle on wet pavement is going to expend
most of its torque/horsepower via wheelspin, whereas with the 4WD this baby
hooks up and goes!!

This is one of those things, that boils down to personal preference, but I
have to say, after 12 months with my Dakota, thru all 4 seasons, my truck is
just as quick (and even more fun) in the rain and snow, as it is on dry
pavement!

> - Weight. I don't know what it adds, but its must add extra
weight.

See previous comments...

> - Purpose. I don't particularly care for what most people call
> sport trucks (slammed, tires practically rubbing on the
> tops of the wheelwells, bizzare colors), and I don't

Me neither...

> really go for the 4x4 look either. I like a truck
> that sits fairly low to the ground (for a truck),

Again, this is more personal preference than anything..