RE: Air filter

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 1996 - 13:21:59 EST

From: drazaelb@xmission.com@INTERNET on Sat, Nov 9, 1996 8:32 PM

>I purchased my 95 4x4 Sport (six cylinder) used and thought I might take a
>look and see what kind of condition the air filter was in. Much to my
>surprise, I found that there was a strip of fairly thick material around
>the filter. It looks as though it is wearing a wool sweater or something.
>This material was obviously designed to be wrapped around an air filter,
>as it fits perfectly.
>
>Has anybody seen this before? Why is this on there?

There are a few companies that make these extreme condition filters. A paper
element filter collects dirt on the surface so the minute you put it in
service the air flow starts to restrict. What you refer to as a sweater will
collect dirt through it's entire thickness resulting in much less air flow
restriction and less dirt for the paper element to deal with.

The best filters for trapping dirt without restricting airflow are the oiled
foam filters from outfits like Amsoil and UNI. The oiled gauze type filters
like K&N are very good for not restricting air flow but do not do as good a
job at trapping dirt as the oiled foam, primarily because they do not have
the depth of the foam style.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE