RE: 4wd vs. 2wd

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 1996 - 07:49:18 EST

From: scottv@msn.fullfeed.com@INTERNET on Fri, Nov 8, 1996 7:17 PM

>> Necessity is in the eye of the buyer. I submit a V8 engine (an option)
would
>> be a necessity to someone towing a large travel-trailer. Likewise,
someone
>> who climbs snowy mountains would find 4X4 a necessity for themselves.
>>

>I agree with your reasoning. I didn't catch the whole "4wd vs. 2wd" debate
but
>one of the major reasons that I ordered 4wd is RESALE VALUE. I may *never*
>slip my Dakota in 4wd but I guarantee that when I put it up for sale,
people >will find the truck more attractive.

If the only reason you order 4wd is for resale value you will lose money
over purchasing a 2wd vehicle. Granted the 4wd will be worth more but not
the cost of the 4wd option more. 4wd cost approx. $2500.00, if you keep the
truck 5 years the 4wd only adds about $1900 to the value of the truck.
That's $600 you could have saved.

Car truck purchases in general are a poor investment. You lose $1000.00 or
more just driving of the lot.

Dave Clement
89 4x4 LE