Re: Air Filter -Reply

From: Jason B. Bleazard (jmbleazard@xactware.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 1996 - 12:04:30 EST

This makes sense. I did find a couple of dead bees stuck to the
outside of it. Wouldn't it have been more efficient to use a piece
of a screen door at the front of the snorkel or something? It's
hard for me to believe any air gets through this thing. It must be
a quarter of an inch thick. I guess it must be a lot more porous
than it looks.

What did you use to wash it?

>>> JT McBride <James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM> 11/10/96
01:53pm >>>

The 'wool sweater' around the air filter isn't to trap fine dust,
rather the reverse - the butterflies, bits of grass, and other debris
that manages to get up the snorkel and into the filter housing. My
truck came with it wrapped around the stock paper element, and
I've continued to use it with my K&N. It does a nice job of keeping
the bigger debris out of the bottom of the folds of the filter.

BTW, I leave it dry, although there seems to be enough oil mist
from the valve cover breather to get at least the half facing that
hose pretty well oiled. I suppose if you wanted some extra dust
protection, you could oil it like the K&N. Oh - one last word about
handling the 'sweater'. While the fuzz appears to be spun plastic,
the backing is fiberglass. When you're washing it out, don't wring
it dry, but let it drip dry; otherwise you'll break up the fiberglass
and get itchy hands. Gee, wonder how I learned that?

Could this have been standard with the towing package? Or 4x4?

Jim

"There is already a ban on ALL CRIME. It is not working." -
Thomas Sowell