Re: Front Brakes

From: bissonet@illuminet.net
Date: Mon Nov 11 1996 - 18:54:32 EST

Been reading for months. Appreciate the info.

I have a 95 SLT extended cab. I was getting a slight pulsation during braking.
 At about 16k miles I took it to the dealer, again, for other repairs and
mentioned the brakes. They said the rotors and drums needed to be turned and
it was not covered under the warranty because they were wear items. My
suggestion that PADS are wear items and ROTORS are not was not well received.

I do not plan on spending one cent at the dealer so I figured I would do it
myself. Since CC recommends checking the front bearings at 22,500 miles, I
bought new bearings and pads at the local Trak Auto. Since I bought the pads
they would turn the rotors for free. I changed it all out, took a test ride
and when I hit the brakes I thought I was running on railroad ties. I checked
the runout and it was .008 on both sides. Maximum allowable is .004. I took
the rotors back, explained the situation, suggested they check their machine
before they turned them again. This time I checked first, .008 and .009 runout.

Back to Trak. Without much discussion, the manager said give him two new
rotors and keep the old. Put the new rotors on and the braking is now smoother
and quieter than new.

Been rambling too long, but dealer warranty repairs are another story.

Laterization,

Calvin