Re: Overdrive Lockout

From: Norah Kiraly (kiralyn@tor.hookup.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 1996 - 22:56:26 EST

At 08:13 AM 11/11/96 -0800, you wrote:

>Norah says:
>>Does anyone know why on the '93 you had to turn the Overdrive "ON" when
>>needed and now on the '95 it automatically on and you have to turn it off?
>
>I have a '93 with the 5.2, which meant the 4spd AT (MT in '94). The dash
>Overdrive control is an overdrive lockout, meaning that when the switch
>is engaged, the overdrive upshift is disabled. When you start the truck,
>all four speeds (OD too) are enabled; only when you engage the lockout
>are you limited to 3spd. In my experience, the OD is quite a smooth upshift,
>and hardly a problem around town.
>
>In short, on the '93 OD was automatically on and you have to turn it off.
>
>Is this different for '92 and earlier (possibly including a mid-year
>changeover in '93) or different in Canada?
>
>Jim

>>Gary says:

>>I've had both a 89, and currently drive a 92 Dakota. Both have had the
>>4sp auto, and both have been set up so that the OD is on, unless you lock
>>it out with the pushbutton. I've never heard of a Dakota with the option
>>the other way around.

>>So to answer you're question, up here in Canada, things are the same.

Did I have an unusual '93?? And I'm not losing my mind (I hope), but I may
after this.

'93 was:-- OD "ON" button -- purchased in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)
'95 is: -- OD "OFF" button --purchased in Toronto, Ontario (Canada)

Owner's manual recommends turning OD off if you're doing city driving with a
lot of "Stop and Go" traffic or doing less than 60km/hr. (can't remember
what that is in mph - sorry!)

I've found it best to have OD off while driving in Toronto. If you've ever
driven here, you would agree that 75% of the drivers don't know what they
are doing and the other 25% (hopefully myself included) are very good
drivers and end up frustrated and iritated.

Would anyone know what the purpose of the change was?? Or did I have one of
those vehicles built on a Friday or April 1st???

Thanks, Norah
'95 Dakota Sport, 4x2 Club Cab, V6, 3.9L, black