Overdrive Lockout

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 11 1996 - 11:13:14 EST

Norah says:
>Does anyone know why on the '93 you had to turn the Overdrive "ON" when
>needed and now on the '95 it automatically on and you have to turn it off?

I have a '93 with the 5.2, which meant the 4spd AT (MT in '94). The dash
Overdrive control is an overdrive lockout, meaning that when the switch
is engaged, the overdrive upshift is disabled. When you start the truck,
all four speeds (OD too) are enabled; only when you engage the lockout
are you limited to 3spd. In my experience, the OD is quite a smooth upshift,
and hardly a problem around town.

In short, on the '93 OD was automatically on and you have to turn it off.

Is this different for '92 and earlier (possibly including a mid-year
changeover in '93) or different in Canada?

Jim
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes,
but in having new eyes." -- Proust