Why not Cat engines?

From: Actor Troy McClure (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 1996 - 08:57:47 EST

Hi:

Why did Dodge decide to go with Cummins for the diesel engines in the Rams? I
think those trucks sound very, very cool but I am also puzzled. I used to work
at a Caterpillar dealership and got to see the whole line of Cat diesel engines
(from semis up to locomotive motors with 16 cylinders). It seems to me like
Cat could have cranked out a pretty damn nice motor for these trucks. Plus the
parts distribution network is top-notch.

Does anyone know how Cummins got the nod for the engine contract?

Just curious...

-Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv

'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, 5.2L/5-spd (on order)