RE: Was lack of power

From: Bertekap, Robert L. (Bertekap#m#_Robert_L#d#.Wallingford_Mail_Server@msmail.bms.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 1996 - 07:38:09 EST

>All of the computer controlled CC products I have/had use the same
>procedure (from the FSM) for setting the base timing. You disconnect
>the temperature sensor to put the computer in limp home mode (check
>engine light on) and use a timing light to set the base timing by moving
>the distributor body. You can't set timing when the computer is in
>normal operating mode because the computer is dynamically changing >the
timing.

While this procedure is true for my wife's '94 Shadow, the situation is
different in my '95 Dakota. In the truck, the distributor used only for
injector sync (there is a hall effect switch and a semi-circular plate in the
distributer, so the computer knows if the crank is on the "first" or "second"
revolution of the four stroke cycle and therefore which injectors to fire
through the current revolution) and sending the spark down the correct wire.
The computer is directly controlling all aspects of ignition timing. As far
as aligning the distributer (I presume for injector sync), the procedure given
in the FSM is to hook up the computer to the dealer diagnotic equipment and
twist the distributer until the screen reads OK. If someone has a way to
align without the dealer equipment, I'd be more than happy to hear it!

Rob
'95 SLT, V-6, 5 spd