RE: Was Re Lack of power

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 1996 - 07:56:03 EST

From: mwatts@cris.com@INTERNET on Tue, Nov 12, 1996 10:57 PM

>Don't try and set timing with the (Distributor)Timing is controlled by
>the computer.
>Distributors on Jeeps since 86 and Dodge trucks since 92 do not have
>anything to do with timing. Jeeps and Dodge trucks of the above years
>use the Distributor for Fuel injector synchronization and if you turn
>the distributor body some of these will occur including surging, light
>bucking, stalling,stumble,chuggle,hesitation,poor idle and intermitant
>misfiring.Many of the above occur at operating temp above 2000 rpm. Pop
>off the cap and look inside under the hall effect plate. All you will
>see is a half-moon shaped reluctor. It tells the ECU where pistons 1 and
>6 are to help with injector firing. Turning the distributor throws the
>ECU a curve.If you are sure the distributor was moved It will take a
>distributor reindexing to get everything synched up again.
>Anytime you need to replace a distributor on one of these engines it has
>to be properly indexed.I can scan and post to the list procedure for
>indexing if you are interested it is about a page and a half long

All of the computer controlled CC products I have/had use the same procedure
(from the FSM) for setting the base timing. You disconnect the temperature
sensor to put the computer in limp home mode (check engine light on) and use
a timing light to set the base timing by moving the distributor body. You
can't set timing when the computer is in normal operating mode because the
computer is dynamically changing the timing.

Dave Clement