Re: Pinging on 87 Octane??

From: Norah Kiraly (kiralyn@tor.hookup.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 1996 - 10:39:39 EST

At 08:54 AM 11/14/96 -0800, you wrote:
>You wrote:

>>little concerned about hearing knocking/pinging already. Maybe it has
>>something to do with the oxygenated RFG they use in my area (CT) in the
>>winter... Hopefully, by early next spring, MP will have released some of
>>the performance parts for the '96 Dakota 5.2, and I can get the MP SBEC, and
>>start running the hi-octance gas. (read ka-ching!)
>

> It's not THAT BAD! On average my weekly fill up is about $31.50; only
$4.25
>more per tank than a 87 octane fill up. $4.25 x 52 weeks = $221 extra per
year,
>divided by 12 months = An extra $18.42 per month to have a LOT of fun with
your
>truck!
>
> ...Sam '95 SLT

The first 3 months with my '95 I was using 94 octane and did not know any
different. The guys at work convinced me that I wasting my money, blah,
blah, blah. So I changed to 87. The truck was not impressed. It became
slightly slugish with mild hesitation and a bit of a cough. Seemed as if it
was octane withdrawl. I've since gone back to 94 and enjoy the increase in
performance. Before everyone writes back - Toronto has Sunoco Ultra 94.
Filled up today for .647 per litre (??? per gallon - my brain doesn't do
conversions at this time of day).
Norah Kiraly, kiralyn@tor.hookup.net
'95 Dakota Sport, 4x2 Club Cab, V6, 3.9L, black