Re: Pinging on 87 Octane??

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 1996 - 12:49:44 EST

>The first 3 months with my '95 I was using 94 octane and did not know any
>different. The guys at work convinced me that I wasting my money, blah,
>blah, blah. So I changed to 87. The truck was not impressed. It became
>slightly slugish with mild hesitation and a bit of a cough. Seemed as if it
>was octane withdrawl. I've since gone back to 94 and enjoy the increase in
>performance. Before everyone writes back - Toronto has Sunoco Ultra 94.
>Filled up today for .647 per litre (??? per gallon - my brain doesn't do
>conversions at this time of day).
>Norah Kiraly, kiralyn@tor.hookup.net
>'95 Dakota Sport, 4x2 Club Cab, V6, 3.9L, black

Norah:

That's interesting, I just got the same story from the dealer regarding my
'97. He said anything more than 87 octane was a waste of money. My
"trusted" mechanic suggests 89 octane. He been doing great work for me for
years .... I'm a real fuss-arse.

Don't complain about the price of gas in Toronto. $.64/l gets 89 octane in
Victoria. The real good stuff is $.70/l plus. I've been using Chevron for
years ... like the guy in the bunny suit.

If you really want to get into high octane, convert to propane. I believe
it's 100+. I had the 360 in my previous truck rebuilt as a propane engine
and they did many of the high performance tricks (such as higher
compression) that was done in the old days when gas was good. It made the
350 Chevs look like they were going backward and certainly outperformed the
360s right up until the Magnums. Of course, it can't touch the Dakota.
My friend that bought it finds it somewhat more perky that his gasoline
powered 318.

Another interesting item from Chrysler. In the owners manaul, they
recommend against the use of fuel injector cleaner, yet in the service log
book, they have a nice little ad for Chrysler fuel injector cleaner!

It's warm and sunny here today ... shirt sleave weather, the cyclists are
back in short pants.

Robert P. Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia