Re: Overdrive ghost ...

From: Howard Wilson (howard@bga.sps.mot.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 1996 - 15:41:11 EST

Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
93, LE, 2wd, reg. cab, SWB
5.2L, Auto, Mopar SBEC, Mark III

wrote:

>>Here is a weird thing that has happened to my Dak only twice, but I'm
still curious as to what it might be. Both times I have been on the
freeway at highway speed and for no apparent reason the O/D OFF light
came on and RPM jumped up, just like I had pressed the button. Only I
did not. I re-enganged O/D and everything went fine. About 2 or 3 days
later, same thing. I thought something was going out in the tranny but
it has not done it again for about 3 or 4 months. (knock on wood) I
thought that there might have been a short in the switch or maybe some
RF interferance had caused it (it happended close to the same place on
the same freeway, about a mile or so difference) I just wanted to know
if maybe there was something I could check like fluid levels or any
other maintnace procedure that might point to the problem, if there is
one. I would like to hear if anyone else has experienced anything like
>>this.

mine ('93, 5.2, auto, 4x4) has done this several times in it's life also.

it stopped (mostly) when i got the new transmission installed (under warrantee,
after 5 trips to the dealership to fix another problem). only once since the
new tranny. replacing the overdrive unit had no effect either.

my theory is that it is related to rf interference, as you guessed. the
transmission is electronically controlled, and could be suceptible to stray
fields.

i have also had it happen once on the highway with the cruise control engaged.
 going down a steep hill, it happened. the service manager later speculated
that it was the cruise control's way of limiting the speed of the vehicle. i'm
not sure it buy that.

i have also had the transmission refuse to go into overdrive, and that was
traced to a bad speed sensor, also replaced under warrantee.

--
Howard P. Wilson