RE: 360-powered rumors

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 1996 - 17:19:36 EST

From: wgcount@husc.harvard.edu@INTERNET on Tue, Nov 19, 1996 1:21 PM
On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Dave Clement-LDC009 wrote:

>>>Do we really need a 360-powered Dakota? How many ponies and foot-pounds
>>> would you expect out of such a beast? (Kukukooter probably has more
>>> get-up-and-go coming out of his 318 right now.)
>>
>> The 360 is rated 235HP and 330ft-lbs torque @ 3000rpm and goes up to
245HP
>> with the low restriction exhaust that is supplied on the SS/T RAM package.

>> Nothing to get overly excited about or wait on purchasing a Dakota in
hopes
>> of seeing it offered as an option.
>
>True enough Dave, but the 360 Magnum can be outfitted to bring more power.
>Take the crate motors for example. By changing just a few items you can
>get 300 hp easy. If we continue this part swap the 380 crate gives us 380
>hp and 410 ft/lbs. I know that these crate motors are based on the 360.
>Ok they won't pass smog, but if you find a thrashed Ram with a good 360 I
>wouldn't turn it down. I plan on doing something like this in the (vast?)
>future. I can dream and the smog guy can't tell if it looks stock.

Bill, point taken, the 360 has more HP potential but if you do not plan to
build a race motor the readily available bolt on goodies work about the same
on both engines so you still will not be that much further ahead. You can't
really compare the magnum 360 with the crate motor that MP sells. The crate
motor is based off the pre-magnum block/head design and is intended to be
run with a carb, it is not just a compilation of parts that could be bolted
to a magnum engine.

Dave Clement