RE: Rustproofing...

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 1996 - 16:21:13 EST

From: scottv@msn.fullfeed.com@INTERNET on Mon, Nov 25, 1996 2:52 PM

>I've been wondering if I should have my new Dakota rust-proofed when
>it's delivered. The truck will be driven year-round so it'll
>encounter its fair share of road salt. Is it worth the extra $300 to
>have a local shop rustproof the beast before I take it out on the
>road? One person told me that the sheetmetal on the new vehicles is
>of a much higher quality than the old days and is more resistant to
>rust. Soooo, should I have it sprayed or will it survive on its own?
>What you do guys (and gals) north of the border think about this?

I can only relate my experience, so here goes. I have an 89 4x4 Dakota with
202,000 miles. As you can tell it's been driven year round (in New England,
with lots of road salt) and also spends a fair amount of time on the beach.
There is zero rust on the body and only surface rust on the undercariage and
drive line.

I would not spend the money on rust proofing for the following reasons;
- The body panels are now galvanized on it least the exposed side so rusting
is not an issue like it was through the late 70's.
- The factory rust warranty is just as long as most of the rustproofers and
I have heard conflicting stories as to whether it would void the factory
warranty.
- The after market rustproofing warranties will fix or refund the purchase
price at there discretion. You can't get much fixed for $300.00. So guess
what? the best you would receive is your money back.

Also, I put 240,000 miles on an 85 Daytona drove it year round in New
England and only got one small area of rust where junk was trapped in a
cavity at the plastic fender well to body joint. My 89 Daytona with 97,000
miles has not suffered the same fate because I make a point to flush the
area out.

Dave Clement