Front end loose, rattles

From: KEN MANSFIELD (KMansfie@compucom.com)
Date: Mon Nov 25 1996 - 11:20:22 EST

Hi Folks,

Has anyone dealt with front-end looseness or low rattling
when going over uneven roads or RR tracks?

My '92 Dak has had a loose front since aroud 60K miles. It
now has 80K. With just 20K left on the extended warrantey,
I need to get this taken care of soon.

I have talked to my Chrysler Service Advisor for over a year
about this. First, he suggested changing shocks. He
recommended the Monroe Sensa-Traks (his service center
installs them instead of the ChryCo shock), so, I put them
on. Then, I noticed the sway-bar bushings were trashed. In
fact, an inner clamp was completely sheared through. I
replaced them with a set of Addco bushings. Now I have
much flatter steering and recovery after turns, but the low
rattle and instability is still there over uneven surfaces.

Of course, the dealer has continued to tell me that it is just
"getting old" but I am about to toss that out and make them
diagnose the issue fully. After talking to the warranty people,
I have learned that the following parts are not covered:

Shocks/bushings
Sway Bar Bushings/end links
Coil springs
Steering linkage
Brake pads/rotors

Any ideas on what else to look at would be appreciated. I
know the opinion of many on this thread regarding dealer
service. I need to continue to use them, though, until my
warrant expires.

Does anyone know the name of the regional service rep. in
North Texas?

Thanks

klm