Re: odd starter problem

From: Brian Cleary (bcleary@interlog.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 1996 - 15:23:21 EST

Dave Clement-LDC009 wrote:
> Hi Bill!!
>
> Funny you should mention starter, mine has just started giving up the ghost
> (requires from 5-10 quick applications of power before it will start to turn
> over the engine). I suppose that after 202,000 miles I can't complain. And
> as usual with my luck there are two types of starters and mine is the more
> expensive Nippon version. I am not going to try and repair it because it's a
> hassel to get it out on the 4x4's so in goes a rebuilt this week.
>
> Back to your problem sounds more like battery (you have cleaned the
> connections??) than the starter. Unless you have a volt meter, amp meter and
> a hydrometer to isolate whats wrong any parts you change are just guesses.
>
> Dave Clement

This IS really strange! I to have exactly the same problem as Dave!
Only mine is at 265,000km's. Between 5 and 15 key turns to get the
starter to turn. I think the Solenoid contacts are burned up but was
suggested to replace the whole starter. Why do these things ALWAYS crap
out when the snow comes!