Re: rear speakers

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 1996 - 11:37:22 EST

You wrote:

>Has anyone tried putting 6X9's in the regular cab Dakota, instead of the
>5X7's? What would be involved in doing this. Would there be a lot of
>fabricating to get things to fit. I would like 6X9's because they are
>more abundant than the 5X7's.
>
>Same with the front ones, how about 6in. instead of 5 1/4in.? Would
>that be worth the trouble?

    I don't know about the reg. cab Dakota, but on my Club Cab I put 5x7" Pioneer 2
way speakers in place of the stock units, and they made a 500% difference in
clarity, and volume... I was going to put 6x9, but the depth was the problem... I
needed to do cutting with the 6x9"'s too, but the depth (both front and back) was
an issue...So I opted for the 5x7"s and they do great.

    In the doors you can go as big as you want....You will probably have to create
your own door panel openings, and the back spacing might not be deep enough...so
you will have the speakers protruding into the cab a little more.... I did this
with another truck I had and actually had 8" mid bass seperates in the doors!!! (I
had great hearing before that!! :) Some good car audio places have great OEM
replacement lower-door panels that allow for this.... They also work well for
people with crank windows, and want to add OEM electric windows...

    Good luck!

    ...Sam '95 SLT MP SBEC, etc. etc...