Re: rear speakers

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 1996 - 14:43:57 EST

> on my Club Cab I put 5x7" Pioneer 2
> way speakers in place of the stock units, and they made a 500% difference in
> clarity, and volume...

  I've got a Club Cab with stock 4-speaker cassette stereo, and
have been considering the following sound system modifications.
I'd like to know what the other list members have done along these
lines, in order to buy components that will fit with little or no
modifications (and hopefully use as much of the equipment that I
currently have as possible). I don't want to cut/splice any part of
the factory wire harnesses, but am willing to add to the stock
harness.

Mod. 1: Replace stock rear 5x7 speakers.

  What speakers work well in the Dakota application? I'm not interested
in heavy modification, and would prefer units that fit behind the
stock grille (though I would consider new grilles as long as I don't
have to cut up the stock panels).

Mod. 2: Replace stock front 5.25 speakers.

  Ditto (what speakers work well with no mods?).

Mod. 3: Use my Coustic 2 channel amp to power the rear speakers,
with the current stereo's speaker-level outputs.

  This might be a slight bitch, as I want to do as little drilling
as possible. I was hoping that I could mount the amp under the
passenger-side seat, and run inputs from the rear speaker connectors
to the amp, and run outputs back to the rear speakers. How easy
is it to run wire under the carpets in this beast?

Mod. 4: Upgrade factory cassette head with my pullout CD receiver.

  This isn't that big of a deal, since I can buy adapters to fit the
chassis in the stock location, and hook it in to the wiring harness.
Given Mod 3 above, it would require that I run new line-level outputs
to the amp under the passenger seat.

  Thanks for any help!

  Ron