Rumbling, stalling, and shifting

From: Steinke, Lonnie (LonnieS@denr.state.sd.us)
Date: Thu Dec 05 1996 - 11:55:00 EST

I've been silently reading the digest for 6 months now. I own a 1990 2wd
Clubcab Dakota Sport, V6, AT, with 71k. I like the truck alot. Experienced
a few problems I'd like some help with. I know this ain't a "garage", but
ideas would be appreciated.

1. I've owned the truck 2+yrs, it's always had a rumbling noise upon
decelleration from 60 mph or so. Only when the engine has back pressure on
it (no braking). I do not suspect the tires are out of balance. Any ideas?
 I think someone described a similar problem a month ago, but didn't get
much response. There is no rumbling on acceleration or cruising speed.

2. A year ago, the truck started "stumbling" upon stopping at stopsigns.
 As I neared a full stop and idle speed, the engine speed would drop off,
sputter, and finally "revive" itself within 1 or 2 seconds, and run fine.
 This seemed to only happen during warmup, and ran fine after that. I took
it to the dealer. They replaced the EGR - no change. I took it back and
they replaced the fuel filter. It ran fine after that, until last summer,
when it started up again. Tried many different fuel types, no change.
 Hasn't happened for a few months now, but I expect it again. Any ideas?
 Speed sensor? Idle speed controller? Should I replace the fuel filter
again?

3. I changed the tranny fluid and filter at about 68k. While I had the pan
off, I adjusted the bands as specified in my Haynes manual. Ever since
then, during warmup periods, the tranny fails to shift into 3rd gear (I'm
heading down the road, revving the engine, wondering why it's so icy out).
 It's like it's in neutral, and if I slow down, stop, or get it back into
2nd gear, it will shift fine after that. Could I have adjusted the bands
incorrectly? Or is it something else?

Got my recall notice about the steering reinforcement the other day. Anyone
have the repair done yet?

Thanks for your help.

Lonnie Steinke, Pierre, South DAKOTA