easy question probably?

From: mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com
Date: Fri Dec 06 1996 - 07:55:48 EST

Dakota guys (and girls!):

Easy question I think ;-| for the non-Dakota challenged. I recently took my '90 4x4 3.9L dakota into the dealer because i thought the tranny was making a noise.Found out I had a leak in the air pump right at the catalytic converter (i felt like a moron), but because I thought the tranny was a problem, I imagined that
the tranny was shifting a little slower into reverse and I told the dealer that.So... even tho they told me the tranny had no problem, the said they 'serviced' it anyway.

A week later the tranny started acting funny. at speeds of 65+ and after about
25-35 minutes of wartm up the tranny start shifting into and out of overdrive
This became very annoying. So I took it back to the dealer, thinking that they
had caused a problem that didn't originally exist and they told me they would look at it. Afterwards they said they didn't think they 'caused' any problems
but... Upon checking the tranny, they said there was too much fluid in the
tranny and sometimes this could cause 'erratic shifting'. Does this sound
possible? they also told me they hooked it up to the computer and found two
codes that could 'possibly' cause thihs problem.

1) said the truck was too cold too long!(Thermostat?) and
2) that the "power control Module" indicated a problem

Questions:
1) Is is possible that a thermostat could cause this erratic shifting problem?
2) What does the Power Control Module do and does it really cost $175.00?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks
-Rick Mahoney