Re: Sticky accelerator pedal

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 1996 - 23:36:20 EST

Disconnect the cable at both ends and see if the inner cable slides freely
within the outer. If not I wouldn't screw around with it, I'd get a new
cable and install it ASAP. If the cable moves freely, there are only two
possibilities left the pedal or the throttle linkage.

If it's the cable binding it could be from a kinked outer cable, or a
frayed inner. Neither will respond to anything but replacement.

From experience I wouldn't use WD-40 for anything but a water displacer on
something that is either going to be lubricated afterwards or that doesn't
matter. BreakFree and Triflon are much better lubricants, won't gum up
like WD-40 and will also displace water and clean. Excellent stuff for
door locks. Ask a hunter who's had his rifle fail to fire because the
WD-40 he'd liberally sprayed all over the works had gummed up beyond
anything but disassembly. Not nice.

BTW, throttle on my '92 is still smooth with no attention at all.

Larry