Re: Break-in tips

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@relay.adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Mon Dec 16 1996 - 11:27:04 EST

I often engage my 4wd for a couple of hundred yards on straight, level
pavement. I figure that it keeps the lube stirred up in the front
axle and prevents the grease from seizing the sliding fittings. I've
noticed that it takes a cycle from power to decel back to power to
disengage the 4wd. I had an '88 Br*nc* II that did the same thing.
It must be part of the design of a transfer case.

The 4wd should be used very carefully on pavement, as Larry mentioned.
A friend had his little imported SUV in 4wd during a rain storm and
drove into a dry parking garage without disengaging. When he tried
to make a turn, the truck stopped dead in its tracks due to the lack
of a differential between the front and rear drive lines. The next
winter he had to have his front axel repaired...I wonder if it was
related?

-Jim.
'87 V6 auto 4x4

--