RE: Change it at 500 miles?

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 1996 - 10:57:45 EST

I would not put synthetic in until you have >5k miles. As far as changing it
500 it won't hurt but it won't buy you much either.

I have had several vehicles that I have put >200k miles on and all the
vehicles I have purchased new have had at least 150k miles on them when I
got rid of them and I never had to do engine work on any. Here's what I have
always done;

First change a 1000 miles, second at 3000, fourth at 5000 and then 5k
intervals there after for conventional oil or 7.5 k miles on synthetics. New
filter with each change. Also, on the vehicles that have had room and they
are available I put on the largest filter I can get.

Dave Clement
97 Avenger, 3 days old but expecting to have to 2005
89 Dodge Dakota, 202k miles currently
89 Daytona, 98k miles currently
89 Ford Tempo, 149k miles currently
85 Daytona, 240k miles
79 D50, 120k miles when bed and body rusted off
74 AMC Hornet X, 168k miles
73 D100, 268k miles
__