Re: Break In -Reply -Reply

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@relay.adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Tue Dec 24 1996 - 08:16:42 EST

Ken-

I hate to dump cold water on your procedure, but here are my comments:

1. Cars are no longer meant to warm up before being driven. The best
thing that you can do for your motor is leave right away after starting,
especially in mild weather. Idleing will tend to foul the plugs
and contributes alot to air pollution until the enriched mode is
completed. Placing the engine under load and burning more fuel
as a result will warm the engine much more quickly than at idle.
That being said, let me say that having heat before starting out
to keep the windshield frost free in cold weather is a good idea.

2. The main factor in being able to rev a motor safely is the oil
temperature. The oil flows much better when its hot, and it will
protect the bearings to a higher rev limit than when cold. It also
takes much longer to heat up than the water.

Just my $.02. Best wishes for a happy holiday.

-Jim.
'87 V6 auto 4x4

--
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer   email: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com