Re: Isn't 4wd Great!!!

From: Jerad J. Heffner (jjay@ticz.com)
Date: Tue Dec 24 1996 - 16:12:40 EST

I'm just curious, but would like to hear some stories about the
posi-trac rear end. I know in 2wd, this can be very interesting. I've
experienced it myself (I'm only 17). My dad has the Dakota in the
family, and as much as I love the Dakotas, I (PLEA FOR MERCY: DON'T
KILL ME!! PLEASE!) I prefer my ford ranger in the snow. The open
differential DOES have the problem that if one wheel is on ice or a
slick spot, it's harder to get going, I know. That's where the
Posi-trac comes in. But give the Dakota a little too much gas,
especially in a turn, and you've got a fun fish tail. (Not always fun,
though, it can be dangerous, and I respect and realize that. I am not
one of those crazy, do-anything-I-feel-I-can-do teenagers. I know the
law and respect it most of the time. I do however do a few things to
help my experience when it's safe.) My father almost hurt his Dakota
and his boss's '93 Ram when the positrac slid the back end of his truck
into his boss's truck. No damage though. I was just curious of similar
stories from other people. I'm not trying to down the Dakota. It's my
favorite by far, and I want one, but . . . well, as I said, I'm
curious. Thanx, and Merry Christmas!!

jerad