Re: Upgrading valvetrain

From: Kukukooter@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 02 1997 - 20:36:01 EST

Well, I have been aiming for the 6500 territory and have been told by
everyone it's impossible on a Magnum, my current STOCK valvesprings run to
6000 rpm, much to many's belief. My cam's max power area is 5100rpm, but
being a roller cam, the rate of falling off is so minute, my ET's are
bettered due to when I shift at 6000, I fall right back down to 4900 to 5000
rpm which is my max power area. I have been told that the lifter galley will
crack beyond 6000rpm from Greg Rager of Mopar Muscle Mag...I have my doubt's.
I believe with lightweight pistons and rods, balanced bottom end, equal
flowing intake-heads-exhaust, same duration higher lift cam and good
valvetrain, these motors will make power to 7500 rpm. Power in the 400 plus
territory. I believe upgrading my springs and adding roller rockers with the
cam I am currently running (2030), I am only going to free up ponies in a
lower area and change my power band slightly. As for headers, I PERSONALLY do
not believe in paying $500 for a peak 15 horse, $300 I'll pay due to the
looks and slight gain. Therefore I ported and polished my exhaust manifolds
and all it cost me was time. I'll wager that a set of P&P'd manifolds at the
local machine shop for $100 will perform equally with the $500 headers.
Sending the exhaust manifolds to Extrudehone will cost $500 but will
definately out-perform the headers (old Buick GS trick). Oh well, my 2 cents
for what it's worth...
Kuk