Upgrading valvetrain

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 02 1997 - 16:57:53 EST

Okay, I'm bit. Talk of full roller rocker valvetrains is making me drool
for 7500-8000 rpm redlines!

Do the stock '97 roller rocker setups indeed raise the redline on the 318?

Can any previous year Magnum engine accept the stock '97 setup as drop-ins?

On a semi-related subject: How do the stock cast exhaust manifolds compare
to the tubular headers on the market as far as torque? The implicit
assumption in that question is that the cast manifolds do better on the
bottom end, but I know of several small-engine examples where the better
scavenging of tube systems improve EVERYTHING, including gas mileage.

Torque matters to me for rock-crawling with big tires. High rpm horsepower,
well - why should anyone wonder why I want that???

That brings up one of the wonders of these vehicles. The automotive art
has advanced to the point where I can creep along treacherous backroads
for days, reach pavement and drop out of 4WD, and zip home at (censored)
speeds -- all in perfect comfort. Wow! The stock Dakota is truly an
awe-inspiring jack of (most) all trades. I strive merely to expand the
horizons a bit...

Happy New Year!

Jim
'93 Dakota 4x4 V8