RE: NV-3500 problems

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 10:06:54 EST

From: msolomon@mail07.mitre.org@INTERNET on Fri, Jan 3, 1997 9:26 AM

>I am the owner of a '96 4x4 V8 extended cab 5-speed, sure grip 3.55 rear
end
>Dakota with 25,000 miles. Overall, I am very happy with the truck, but I
have
>had a few warrantee problems.
>
>At around 8,000 miles, I had the transmission (NV-3500) throw-out bearing
>replaced due to hard shifting, clutch vibration, and noise. Well, as it
>turned out, the service department at my local dealer used the wrong gear
>lube. Instead of the required Mopar lube for the NV-3500, they used
another
>synthetic lube. I didn't worry too much about this since they assured me
that
>is what they normally use and it's more expensive than the Mopar recommend
>lube.

I would doubt that the synthetic lube that the dealer used was the cause of
your transmission woes. There are several engineers from New Venture/New
Process on the Mopar Mailing List and they have stated several times that
the best thing you can due for your NV transmissions is to use synthetic
lube.

Dave Clement