Re: NV-3500 problems

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 11:22:15 EST

> At around 8,000 miles, I had the transmission (NV-3500) throw-out bearing
> replaced due to hard shifting, clutch vibration, and noise.

  What sort of vibration and noise? Ever since I accepted delivery
on my '95 (same basic configuration as yours), I've noted a lot of
noise from the clutch area during idling. Goes away when clutch
is depressed, which indicates that my tranny is noisy. No apparent
problems with shifting.

  Of course, the dealer has given me the "this is normal noise"
shuck and jive, but if this noise indicates future tranny problems
I want them documented now.

  Maybe it's time to pull the plug and examine the lube? I can't
think of any other way to gauge "extensive transmission wear."

> the old lube and drain and fill plug magnets were full of metal shavings!

  Yikes!

> Last weekend, (at 25,000 miles) my rear brakes started binding

  Hmmm, no binding on mine as far as I know, but I do notice a
minor squeak or click proportional to speed when I brake. Did
my own visual and found nothing amiss. Rear ABS works as expected
on wet pavement (I purposely engage it from time to time to keep
fluid circulating).

> I tow a 3500lb sailboat extensively. Although, I don't think that the towing
> has anything to do with the demise of the transmission, I want to avoid
> damaging the new unit.

  Well, I tow our ~2500# boat typically twice a month for ~70 miles
in 5th gear at 72mph, but my NV-3500 noise has occurred since day
1. Hasn't changed at all in the 20K miles I've put on the truck
so far.

  Ron