Re: Upgrading valvetrain

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 12:18:33 EST

Thanks for the advice guys. As for the exhaust, I believe I'll try a
custom Y-pipe. I have a friendly exhaust guy who fab'd a custom setup
for my SAAB. I think he'd be amenable to doing one for the truck. And
I'll take particular care to leave the cat where it is.

I still have a question as to whether the '97 valvetrain can be dropped
into a '93 engine. My truck has just over 100K on it now, and while I
expect at least another 50K before it needs any special attention, the
rear main has seeped a bit of oil since new, and I would really like to
get in and polish the combustion chambers and port the exhaust manifold
(probably myself - worked great on the SAAB!). Dropping in some new
roller rockers at the same time would make some sense, along with maybe
a little bit hotter cam (?).

Has anyone tried fitting bigger valves? Is there room? Are the stock ones
sodium-filled (light) or pretty standard? That might help reach 7 grand.

Thanks again,

Jim

P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P
Defining Material Possessions: Dakota 4x4 Pickup with 230 hp V8, 155 mph
Kawasaki Ninja 900, SCUBA gear, Hiking Boots, bicycles, Macintosh computer,
SAAB Sonett(s), chainsaw, knives, guns, books, copy of the Constitution.
          ~%@%~ Politically Incorrect and Proud of It! ~%@%~
Clarifying Wants: McLaren F1 GTR, Bill Gate's House, Silicon Graphics Onyx2.
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-