Re: air injection tube????

From: mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com
Date: Tue Jan 07 1997 - 07:57:03 EST

Dion;
I had the same problem with the Air Pump inlet at the Catalytic Converter
on my '90 3.9L 4x4 longbed and drove the truck for nearly 2 months before
having it fixed. Did it cause any problems? None that I am aware of, but I
have been having some engine problems lately that only surfaced in the last
month. I don't think they are related but I could be wrong. The Air pump is
used to cool the cat so that the hydrocarbons burn better and more complete.
I believe this is nothing more than an emmisions device, so I think the short
answer is NO, you will not damage anything by driving in this condition.
BTW- rather than buying a new input nipple or worse yet a new Cat, I had a
new nipple welded into the cat and had the tube re-attached to the nipple.
Total cost $20 bucks! Total time 20 minutes! You might want to explore this
approach.
Good luck
Rick