RE: Transmissions

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 1997 - 06:51:44 EST

From: elliott@serv.net@INTERNET on Thu, Jan 9, 1997 8:02 PM

>BTW, that tranny is supposed to use ATF instead of gearlube. Could one of
>our engineers explain to us dummies why ATF or engine oil is specified for
>transmissions instead of gear lube? The only experience I've had with
>engine oil in trannies was in 2 stroke dirt bikes, and using Bel-Ray gear
>lube recommended (by Bel-Ray) to replace the engine oil REALLY helped
>shifting.

The motivation behind using ATF or motor oil in gear boxes is fuel mileage.
Thinner oil produces less drag resulting in more mpg's. I found out the hard
way that putting heavier oil in a gear box designed for a lighter oil does
not work well. The gear box in my Shelby Daytona specs 5W-30, being that I
have a mental thing that heavier is better I replaced the oil with 20W-50
and the gear box shifted like sh*. I was back under the car the next day
draining it and refilling with 5W-30.

NOTE: As I recall from MX days the Bel-Ray and Spectro gear box oils were
still a fairly light weight, on the order of 30W to 50W. Also, there are no
syncros in a motorcyce geasr box.

Dave Clement