Re: Transmissions

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Jan 10 1997 - 09:45:19 EST

One follow-up on what I said about Rick's problem. The solenoid coils are
not likely to be energized all the time in either position. However, I don't
know whether the circuit cutout is controlled remotely, or by a position
switch built-in to the solenoid (ala door locks). So if you monitor the
voltage to the solenoid, you might see just a pulse, as the solenoid shifts
(controlled remotely) or you might see a step (controlled at the solenoid).
From what little I know of the circuit, I think it's a step - the dash
switch is a pretty good indication. If that's the case, it's quite likely
the solenoid, or the grounding of the solenoid (or the whole tranny) is
the culprit here.

Larry asked why ATF in modern MT. ATF has additives that give it almost as
good performance in shear as the old gear lubes. It's lower viscosity makes
for better efficiency, and also allows the lube to get in between parts
built to much tighter tolerances a lot faster. It flows better, which means
it transfers heat more effectively. It is also far less corrosive.

The overriding reason is the tighter tolerancesm and the tolerances are so
tight so they can improve mechanical efficiency and reduce noise. The other
reason we're seeing them now is that while the engineers would like to have
used them before, tranny lube was too volatile. That problem has been solved
with additives too. The miracles of modern chemistry!

Jim

"There is already a ban on ALL CRIME. It is not working." - Thomas Sowell