RE: '97 with transmission? probs?

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 1997 - 07:27:41 EST

From: lincut@ccnet.com@INTERNET on Tue, Jan 14, 1997 4:18 AM

>Has anyone else heard of or experienced problems with the auto
>transmission shifting out of overdrive when traveling 60-70 mph when a
>very slight speed change ie, moving foot on accelerator pedal just a
>little speed decrease is only 2-3 miles an hour??this happened just once
>on a trip from San Franciso to LA.

I have an 89 4x4 with the 3.9 auto and it does not take much change in speed,
 increase in grade or additonal head wind to get it to down shift to 3rd
gear. My truck has a lot less horse power than yours and I would expect
yours to do it less.

>Also, in the same vein, we have an intermittant problem with, we think,
>the transmission. It is hard to describe though. We have adequate fluid,
>dealer and I checked it but it stays to long in first gear and the
>engine races when it is started cold. The engine never registers the
>racing on the tach though, very strange. These two things always occur
>together, btw. Dealer couldn't reproduce it. Wondered if it has occured
>with anyone else?

I can't comment on the staying in first to long but I have a similair type
of issue with mine. If the truck sits for a couple of days fluid in the
torque converter drains back into the transmission and it takes 10 seconds
or so before the truck will move after shifting into gear and then requires
a lot of rpms to get to move it. Clears up by the time I get to the end of
the driveway.

The racing sound without a corrosponding rpm on the tach when starting the
engine cold is likely the clutch on the fan not releasing the fan. This is
not an unusal occurance when first starting the engine.

Dave Clement