Re: '97 with transmission? probs?

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 1997 - 11:31:46 EST

At 01:01 AM 1/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello I'm new to this list. My husband and I just purchased a 97 club
>cab and love the truck. We have the Sport model with the 3.9 liter, V6
>engine and auto transmission with the overdrive feature.
>
>Has anyone else heard of or experienced problems with the auto
>transmission shifting out of overdrive when traveling 60-70 mph when a
>very slight speed change ie, moving foot on accelerator pedal just a
>little speed decrease is only 2-3 miles an hour??this happened just once
>on a trip from San Franciso to LA.

I have a 97 with a V8 and have noticed that it doesn't take much pedal
pressure to drop out
of overdrive (50 - 55 mph), particularly on an uphill. This makes sense to
me as
the engine is only running at 1,500 rpm.

>Also, in the same vein, we have an intermittant problem with, we think,
>the transmission. It is hard to describe though. We have adequate fluid,
>dealer and I checked it but it stays to long in first gear and the
>engine races when it is started cold. The engine never registers the
>racing on the tach though, very strange. These two things always occur
>together, btw. Dealer couldn't reproduce it. Wondered if it has occured
>with anyone else?

Mine does the same, but only if I start up cold (ie. sits for 8 hours at
work) and drive away immediately. I glad to see that others have confirmed
this as a feature, rather than a bug. I don't think the engine is revving
higher than the tach says, the engine is just xtra noisy and goes away
within a block or so. When I let mine idle for a bit (ie. defrost the
windows in the morning), it doesn't do it. I don't know what the noise is.
Myabe it's just running rich, like in the old days of carburators and chokes.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada