Re: Cruise Control

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 1997 - 10:31:57 EST

> I'm finding that my cruise control will not hold the speed down on steeper
> highway inclines. Is this normal?
> Or should the cruise apply the brakes? I have a 97 V8 automatic.

  I know of no cruise control system that applies the brakes. (Mind
you, I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't seen one.)
Every one I've ever used controls speed through throttle application
(Nissan, Ford, Chevy, Dodge).

  That said, if your Dakota continues to gain speed with the throttle
completely disengaged, there's nothing the cruise control can do
about it.

  It has never been an issue with my '95 V8 5speed. But then again,
I usually set the cruise control to ~72mph. At that speed, wind
resistance alone will slow the truck, even on a steep downhill
grade.

  I hope you're not using cruise control on city streets.

  Ron