RE: Bucking, intermittent missing

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 13:24:56 EST

From: rfkoth@meq1.ra.rockwell.com@INTERNET on Thu, Jan 23, 1997 11:45 AM

>"Upon further review", how about codes 12 17 15 55 ??

12 = Battery has been disconnected in last 50-100 ignition cycles

15 = No Speed Sensor Signal

17 = Engine Temperature too Low for too Long

55 = End of Message

>From what I've gathered so far, it seems to be pointing to a distributor
>replacement. Is this something that a good local garage usually can handle,

>or is this best done by a dealer? I bought the truck used in Sept, "as
is"
>with no warranty, and since I'm a little pressed for $$, I don't want to
>pay the dealer rates unless I really have to.

Russ,

You need to address codes 15 and 17 before worring about the distributor.

The speed sensor is on the transmission in between the speedo cable and
tranny. Among other things the sensor tells the computer that the vehicle is
moving. If it fails the computer may think the truck is stopped when you are
coasting (foot off gas) and when the clutch is pushed in the engine will
want to die. I had this sensor fail on my 85 Daytona several years back and
it cost $25 at the dealer.

Either the truck is not getting up to temperature or the sensor that feeds
the computer temp info is not working. If the computer thinks the engine is
cold you could very well be running open loop and cause the problems you
have described. There could also be some interaction between the temp
reading and speed sensor reading so you need to address both.

Dave Clement