Bucking, intermittent missing

From: Koth, Russ (rfkoth@meq1.ra.rockwell.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 11:19:30 EST

>The Master of Reality suggested I check the trouble codes.
>
>Looks like the codes are:
>3 8 6 5 5
>
>Now the question is - what do these mean, and what to do about it?

>Dave Clement wrote:
>The trouble codes are all two digit and the last or only one will be 55
(end
>of message). You do not have enough numbers there to dice it up into two's.

>If you run the check code routine again you will notice that that there is
>longer pause between codes than between digits.

"Upon further review", how about codes 12 17 15 55 ??

From what I've gathered so far, it seems to be pointing to a distributor
replacement. Is this something that a good local garage usually can handle,
or is this best done by a dealer? I bought the truck used in Sept, "as is"
with no warranty, and since I'm a little pressed for $$, I don't want to
pay the dealer rates unless I really have to.

Thanks, Russ
93 Sport V6, 2wd, 5spd