RE: Bucking, intermittent missing

From: Dave Clement-LDC009 (Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 15:54:02 EST

From: rfkoth@meq1.ra.rockwell.com@INTERNET on Thu, Jan 23, 1997 03:20 PM

>When I push in the clutch it actually runs smoother than with it engaged,
>and no speedo problems that I am aware of. It always has idled slightly
>rough, even with the new plugs, PCV valve, and air filter I put in
>mid-November. Idle speed is 800RPM according to the tach.

The sensor can fail electrically without effecting the speedo readings.
However, your staritn with the temperature issue is a good bet.

>The temp gauge always reads very low on the scale, even when towing a
>trailer, so code 17 (temp sensor/thermostat) looks like the best place to
>start . Viewed from the front, there is a small sensor at about 1:00
>o'clock position from the thermostat housing, but there is also another
>sensor at about 3:00 o'clock from thermo, just to the left of another hose.

>Which is the temp sensor?

The gauge and the sensor that feeds the computer are seperate. The fact that
they both seem to be agreeing with each other would tend to point to the
thermostat over the sensor. You can either just change the thermostat or get
a hold of a meat or candy thermometer and actually measure the water temp to
decide what's wrong.

Dave Clement