Re: Gas Hog

From: sam_p@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed Jan 29 1997 - 13:35:00 EST

On 01/28/97 16:34:55 you wrote:

>I let my girlfriend take my truck one day. She drove exactly 70 miles from
>a full tank.
>
>it is now down to 1/2 and i have a 22 gallon tank
>
>i never get that bad mileage
>i have to teach her to drive more economically. It was also on the highway
>that she got about 7 mpg. I usually get about 20 mpg.
>
>----------
*snip*

Something is REALLY a miss here... Are you sure you are @ 1/2 tank, and
not what the gauge is reading??? Did you fill up and verify that it
took 10-11 gallons??? I would imagine that it didn't...

I have a V8 Dakota, and the absolute WORST gas mileage to date is
10.5 mpg... Towing a 4000# boat @ around 70-75 mph on the flat highway
witha headwind of 15-25 mph, then up a 6% grade (13 mile climb back into
the mountains in San Diego County) averaging 65 mph up the grade...

If you actually did get 10-11 gallons in the tank do the following:

        Check your exhaust for excessive smoke (I.E. WAY too rich), but
the truck would run REAL lousy if it was running THAT rich.

        Tell your girlfriend to not reset the TRIP meter!

        Get a locking gas cap... Someone's stealing gas from you!!

        I don't think that the fuel pump would pump that much fuel
(running rich, loaded, up hill, whatever)!!!

        ..Sam '95 SLT