Re: pecking noise

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 1997 - 11:53:30 EST

At 05:51 PM 1/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I have an '87 Dakota - 4WD - 3.9 engine with 75,000 miles. It is a one
>owner with regular maintenance. It has a very bad pecking noise, and
>I've been told it could be wrist pins or possibly the fuel pump rod. Has
>anyone else had this problem?
>
>Also, it sounds more like a diesel engine than a gas. This is probably
>the worst performing engine that I have ever owned. Any ideas for more
>power or how much trouble to change to a 318 C.I.D.?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Ronnie Hicks

This may sound simple, but have you checked you oil level? Low oil can
starve the lifters and
cause 'valve clatter'. Sometimes an oil additive cleaners can also help
sticky valves, or there
are cleaning systems such as 'enginenewity' which are done by you mechanic.

I'd be tempted to solve the problem with the 3.9, sell the truck and buy a
'93 or newer to get
a 318, rather that trying to retrofit to your truck.